Caramelized Onion BBQ Burger
High temperatures and sugar tend to make a crispy sweet glaze around anything you cook. This method for searing the onions at a high temperature adds the best flavor to any burger.
Servings: 3 People
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Red Onion
- Brown Sugar
- Sweet BBQ Sauce
- 1 Egg
- Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Beef Rub
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 lbs Bacon
- Preheat the grill to 500 degrees.
- Put your ground beef, egg, and spices in a large bowl and mix it well.
- Pack together 3-5 thick hamburger patties tightly and set them aside.
- Cut your red onion into 4-5 thick slices and pull apart the onion slices into a few solid rings.
- Coat the onion rings with a light layer of your favorite BBQ sauce, then sprinkle brown sugar over the top and bottom.
- Place the burger patties, bacon, and onion rings on your smoker and grill them hot and fast.
- After your first flip on the burgers (7-10 minutes in,) place a generous amount of cheddar cheese on each patty. Be sure to flip the onions once as well.
- Place the probe in your thickest burger patty and pull at 135 degrees for medium rare.
- We made our burger with bacon, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, brown sugar caramelized onions, and a light layer of extra BBQ sauce.